Tuesday, July 2, 2013

John Johannsen


Claude Monet, Boats Moored at Le Petit-Gennevilliers

Last week, I went to the Legion of Honor to view their new exhibit: Impressionists on the Water.  It was a wonderful collection of paintings depicting water scenes along the Seine and the coast of France.  The picture to the left was one of my favorites: Boats Moored at Le Petit-Gennevilliers by Claude Monet.  Other works of art by Renoir, Pissaro, Caillebotte, and many more are featured in the Legion's galleries.  If you are interested in seeing this exhibit, here is a direct link to the Legion.  The exhibit ends in October of 2013.

After viewing all the wonderful paintings, I stopped by the museum's store and found a great book entitled The Private Lives of the Impressionists by Sue Roe.  Some of you may have already heard about or read this book as it was published in 2006, but it was new to me.  I've always loved learning about the lives of artists, so this book is perfect.  I think it's fascinating to know the why, where and when behind works of art.

Recently, I had the opportunity to visit one of my favorite modern day artists: John Johannsen. (If you are a fan of Melissa Shirley, then you have seen John Johannsen's work.  A few years back, Melissa began producing John's painting on needlepoint canvas.  Here is a link to John's needlepoint designs.) As you might have guessed, I was very excited to meet John and see where he created his work.

John's studio is nestled in the California foothills in a very unassuming warehouse type building.  The kind of building you could drive by hundreds of times and not think anything about it.  But once you step through the door, it's as if you stepped into another world.

Notice the picture above the bookcase...

I loved this dinning room table and chandelier.  The painting resting on the chair is so pretty.  

Here is a closer look at that painting.  I think it would look perfect in my breakfast nook.  It's the perfect view to enjoy my morning cup of tea.

The painting of the girl was one of my favorites.  

John's painting are inspired by the art work of Mexico

and Provence

with a little Lake Tahoe tossed into the mix.

Wouldn't this bear be fabulous to stitch!  (Hint, hint, Melissa.)

There was so much to see and take in.

Another fabulous painting.  Notice the painted luggage under the table.  I thought that was a great idea.

I have an old chair in my garage.  I'm thinking it would look great if I painted it like this.  Of course mine would never look this good!

Another whimsical chair.

These two monkeys are available through Melissa Shirley for your stitching pleasure.

This one is for all you cat lovers out there.

Hope you have enjoyed this glimpse of John Johannsen's studio.  I have a few more pictures to post, but they will have to wait until next time.  

Happy Stitching!















No comments:

Post a Comment