Saturday, May 25, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

This Memorial Day Weekend, I decided to have a stay-cation, so that I could focus on stitching (and maybe a little gardening). The main canvas that I want to work on is my daughter's stocking. I started stitching it about five years ago, and have half of it done. It really should have been completed by now, but I've let other canvases take priority. My goal is to turn in this stocking to the finisher by September 1st.


When I first saw this Melissa Shirley stocking, I knew it would be perfect for my daughter. Ever since she was three years old, my husband would dress up as Santa to deliver all the Christmas gifts. At first, my daughter, Alexandra, was frightened by his visits and would run back to her room to hide under the covers. But as the years passed, Alexandra and her brother would look forward to the annual midnight visit. They would leave the typical cookies and milk out (and carrots for the reindeer). Later on, they set up the camera and video camera to capture the moment.

By the third grade, I was fairly sure that they figured out who Santa really was, but the kids continued to play along for a few more years.  Probably out of fear that Santa might not deliver presents if they didn't believe.

Now with the kids in college, Santa has hung up his coat and hat, but only temporarily. He is hoping to resume his visits when grandchildren arrive.

Here are a few more close up photos of the stocking...


I started stitching the holly with random long stitches in three different colors of Splendor. I then used a Kreinik #4 braid for the center vein.

I love how the candles have turned out. Terry Christopher suggested this stitch, as well as, most of the stitches for this canvas.

Santa's suit is being stitched in a combination of Splendor and Soie Cristale. I've used Burmillana for the fur trim. I would be very happy if I could finish Santa this weekend!

My other goal is to finish the chair. All the flowers have been done in Petite Velour. The green will be done in  silk.

What will you be stitching this weekend?

1 comment:

  1. Alexandra's stocking is stunning. I'm sure it will bring back memories of those special childhood Santa sightings. Beautiful work! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete